Just a few items that are making me smile these days…
1. Paula Deen’s Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread, with or without nuts. We’ve been getting zucchini in our weekly CSA boxes. Lots of zucchini. We’ve grilled it, we’ve breaded it, we’ve topped it with parmesan cheese. But the truth is, the best way to eat zucchini is in the form of Zucchini Bread. It’s like a bread that’s actually a vegetable. A vegetable filled with chocolate chips. (That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.) At this very moment, I have five zucchinis sitting in my fridge. Several of them are going to find their way into this recipe this week (I leave out the orange zest, in case you’re curious). And our freezer will be filled with yummy chocolate-vegetable-bread goodness.
2. A few months ago, I posted about my new desk, which I still love. And recently, my husband hung an awesome modular pin board above it (see my Instagram photo). I love it. I’m slowly filling it up with pictures, a monthly calendar printout, forms for school, Bible verses I
want need to internalize, and anything else that needs to be displayed or kept handy. Call me weird, but several times a day, I just look at my pin board. Yes, I like it that much. I’m sure the novelty will eventually wear off, but for now, it’s one of my favorite things.
3. Sweet Tea Mio. I’ve been attempting to drink more water. I’m not always very successful, but every day, I try again. And after I get tired of “plain old water,” I turn to my stash of Sweet Tea Mio. [Mio calls itself a "Liquid Water Enhancer," which sounds a bit pretentious if you ask me, but hey, it does the job.] It’s calorie-free, but one squirt in my glass makes my water taste a tiny bit like sweet tea. (It could never compare to real sweet tea, but when you’re going for healthier…you take what you can get.) I’m sure that because it has color and flavor but no calories, it probably also has some chemicals I’d rather not know about. But perhaps it’s marginally healthier than a Diet Coke. Maybe. And it’s helping me drink more water, so it works for me.
4. The new “Ready” foundation from bareMinerals. I am not usually a person who gets excited about makeup. But this new foundation is pretty awesome. I’ve been using bareMinerals for several years because it’s light, quick to apply, and doesn’t cause breakouts (which in my opinion, shouldn’t be an issue for someone my age, but alas, it is). This new stuff is all that, and has way better coverage. It now has a permanent spot in my makeup drawer.
5. This Origami Workstation Case – for iPads and bluetooth keyboards. Confession: I love my iPad. I love using it to surf the Internet, play mindless games, read books (on my Kindle app, of course), check email and/or Facebook, and look at photos. But I’m not too crazy about typing on its virtual keyboard. I mean, it’s fine if you’re just writing a quick reply or status update. But for any serious typing (such as, for example, a blog post), it’s just not practical. I have a bluetooth keyboard that works well with the iPad, but I didn’t have a good way to set them up together while remaining super-portable — until I found this case. It holds the keyboard safely and then, when you’re ready to use it, it also converts into a stand for the iPad. Perfect for a morning at Panera. Or Starbucks. Or at the kitchen table while enjoying some Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread.
What recent discovery has you smiling?